Nowadays, Outlook has become the most well-organized application due to its advanced features. However, while using Offline OST file many users might face an issue “your Outlook data file cannot be configured OST Outlook”. Apart from this, if the system has experienced one of the following situations: abrupt termination, synchronization error, virus attack, logical error, or some other problem, then it causes corruption in OST file and outlook.ost cannot be configured. Therefore, in this blog, we will discuss a step-by-step solution to fix this issue. Before that, let us know all possible reasons due to which this error message occurs.
Responsible Factors For The Issue Your Outlook Data File Cannot be Configured Default Outlook Profile.ost
There are several reasons behind occurring your Outlook data file cannot be opened error. Please have a look:
- The missing Outlook OST file from a particular system is the most common cause of this error.
- The second reason is that corruption in OST file due to these external factors, including virus attack, power failure, synchronization error, and internal factors. If your system is affected by any of these errors, and try to access Outlook profile, then this “OST cannot be configured in Outlook” error message displayed.
- Sometimes, when you open Skype for Business before Outlook and interrupts with the normal working of Exchange then, Outlook OST file cannot be configured. This problem can be resolved by opening MS Outlook before Skype for Business.
- If the system gets crashed while importing the data file into Outlook, then the process can be dismissed and Outlook cannot configure a new profile.
Manual Ways to Fix Error Your Outlook Data File Cannot be Configured OST Outlook
Go through the following steps that will help to resolve Outlook related error. Perform the below steps to perform this issue.
In case of missing Outlook.ost file
- If the location of the OST file is changed, then recheck the data file location and reset to the original path on that computer system.
- OST files may be deleted from the system. To fix this problem, delete Outlook application and then, re-install MS Outlook. After that, download OST data file using an Exchange server.
- Remove the OST file and rebuilt OST by downloading a copy of that file using MS Exchange server.
Remember: The deletion of Offline OST and restarting it may not lead to achieve the desired results. The contents of contacts, calendar and tasks folders might be deleted.
Delete OST & re-create OST file by using Exchange server
Users can access OST file in Microsoft Outlook, where OST fetching data from its replica saved and scored on email server. If there is any problem with OST data file available on user-system, then it is necessary to delete that file and re-create OST file by downloading a copy of the file using MS Exchange server.
- Close Outlook Email Application.
- Navigate to Control Panel and search for Mail from Search Control dialog box.
- A dialog box comes with name of Mail Setup. Choose E-mail account from all the available options.
- From the given options, select Data Files>> Exchange account.
- Now, return to Explorer Window, after closing your Account Settings and Mail Setup box.
- Go to File Explorer Window and then right click on Exchange Outlook Data file by clicking the Delete button.
- Shut down the PC and restart. A new .ost file is created for MS Outlook on rebooting the computer system. Finally, this step will help to resolve this error.
In Case of Corrupt Outlook OST File
As ScanPST is the inbuilt utility that comes with MS Outlook, which helps to perform various tasks. For an instance, this application can be used to repair corrupted OST files. Especially, in a case of minimal level of corruption, users can use Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe).
Important Note: In case if the user won’t be able to repair the OST file data by using the ScanPST.exe the user can take the help of expert solution to resolve this issue.
Expert Solution to Resolve The Issue Your Outlook Data File Cannot be Configured OST Outlook 2010 / 2013 / 2016/ 2019
For severely corrupted OST files, users can go for a reliable third-party tool named as Exchange OST Recovery Tool. With the help of this tool, users can repair damaged or corrupt OST files without any data loss. It is capable enough to decrypt OST emails from S/MIME or OpenPGP encryption. The best part of this tool is that it can restore any size of OST files without facing any issues.
Time to Conclude
In this blog, we have discussed all possible ways to fix Your Outlook Data File Cannot be Configured OST Outlook 2010 / 2013 / 2016 error message. But, if the manual method fails due to severe corruption in OST file, then one can use OST Recovery tool. It is a remarkable tool which helps to to fix minor as well as the major level of OST corruption.